The Doctor of Philosophy in Statistics (PhD STAT) program is designed to give the student a wide exposure to actual problems in statistical theory and methods. The program requires a minimum of 37 units, consisting of 6 units of core courses (STAT 341 and STAT 342), at least 9 unit of 200 level courses in Statistics, at least 9 units of cognate courses, 1 unit of graduate seminar, and 12 units of dissertation.
Cognate field may be pursued in demography, genetics, economics, plant breeding, animal science, computer science, management, food science, information technology, mathematics, engineering science and hydrology, and water resources.
Applicants of the program must submit a duly accomplished application form to the Graduate School, UP Los Baños, together with the following:
- Official Transcript of Records
- Two letters of recommendation from former professors
- Certification of English proficiency (for international student-applicant and medium of teaching in previous universities attended is not English)
- Application fee (250 PhP for Filipinos, $30 for international student-applicants)
Applicants must also have a Master of Science in Statistics from an accredited university/college. The MS degree of the applicant is evaluated by the Graduate Curriculum Committee of INSTAT based on the following criteria:
- At least two semesters of graduate level statistical theory
- Have taken courses in sampling and surveys, and statistical methods
Consideration is also given to applicants with sufficient experience, maturity, potential and motivation to pursue graduate study.
|STAT 341||Theory of Probability||Measure-theoretic probability; characteristic functions; generalized and compound distributions; limit theorems; stochastic processes.|
|STAT 342||Statistical Inference||Statistical Inference and statistical decision theory; sufficiency; most powerful tests; unbiasedness; invariance|
|STAT 363||Sampling Theory of Surveys||Stratified multistage sampling; sampling on successive occasions; problems and approaches in the development of multistage surveys|
|STAT 399||PhD Graduate Seminar|
|STAT 400||PhD Dissertation|
**The PhD in Statistics requires a minimum of 37 units:
- 6 units of core courses
- At least 9 units of 200-level statistics courses
- At least 9 units of cognate courses
- 1 unit of seminar
- 12 units of PhD Dissertation